Chapter 2

Malaysia, France (Jul, 2014)

Boarded my flight in KL, heading to Paris, Plane almost full but on time, at 23:10pm, I thought that by having a few beers (well a few more than that), I would sleep like a baby on the flight, but no to to be, thirteen long long hours.   Flew over India then onto to France over the Black Sea, even though it was night, you could see the pending sunrise on the eastern horizon, see photo attached.  As we crossed the Black Sea you could see a large thunderstorm with lots of lightning, as well as the south coast of Ukraine, just hopping that they ignored us as we went past.

Landed in Paris, very foggy morning 6:00am on time, big airport compared to ours, got the bags and welcome to Paris.  As I was tired I thought that I would get a taxi, so found the taxi rank, and a young fella said “You want Taxi?” I answered yes thanks, and loaded up and off we went, he was not a taxi at all just an opportunist to make a buck posing as a taxi, i have seen these guys before, anyway he was polite and the car was very new & clean, so off went the lambs to the slaughter, 120 euros later, (taxi is normally 55)  i arrive at my hotel, first rip-off done.

Too early to checkin so i left my gear and thought that i would go and walk around with my Fuji, so i set off, i walked and walked i reckon that i walked about 25klms, i got back to the hotel at about 10:30pm, getting tired at this point, and my feet were bloody sore to say the least, so uploaded my images, charged batteries had a shower and hit the sack, goodnight.  Woke up, got myself ready, loaded up all the gear and headed out to get some images before the crowds, exit time was 4:00am, the city of love was asleep, or at least in bed.  anyway went to the Louve, but all blocked off so took a few shots and continued on around the city on foot again, shit my feet are sore by now.

Ended up at the Eiffel Tower, shot it from all angles, lined up to go up into the tower, thinking that this will be great, I will get some great images up there, 45mins in the cue I go my ticket, asked where the lift was and they said no no no, you take the stairs!!   328 stairs later, one very buggered photographer arrives at stage one, you beauty i thought, i can get the lift now, not so old man you need to go the level two, so decision time, do i climb another 300+ step of give up and go somewhere else the little voice was saying, but no i decide to climb to stage 2, great people everywhere, long line to the summit lift, but hey i climbed the stairs so just do the wait, beside as i wait i can shoot from the edges, so 45mins later we get to the lift, alas the ticket i bought was for stairs only access, should have got summit ticket, you have got to be kidding, so kicked out of the line, told to go and get correct ticket, when i find the ticket booth, there was a lineup there, bugger this i am out of here, so I gave in and left.

So I headed of in a taxi to the Sacré-Cœur, a big church in Montmartre Village Paris, crowds everywhere, have i mentioned them before, anyway decided to take some street shots, have a beer, met some nice people from Belgium, USA & Canada, drank way too much of a beer called 1664, nice drop though.

By this time it was mid afternoon so i decided to go back to the hotel and get a few hours sleep, and charge batteries, as i was now on my last one. so hit the sack for a quick rest, after having 4 hours sleep in the last 67hours since i left, i was buggered, but was still thinking of the sunset tonight which happens at about 9:30pm, so I should get a 3 hours snooze in before i have to get up, well did not make next thing i know it was 4:00am again, i had managed to sleep through, so got twelve hours sleep long time since i had that much sleep, but i am ready to go again, so get out of my way crowds, here i come. !!!!